Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mind the Gap ... Mind the Monkeys

The London Underground coined the phrase "Mind the Gap" to warn passengers of the risk of stepping into the unsafe gaps between trains and platforms.   Gaps can exist when a train stops at a curved platform.  Gaps can also exist when the height of the train floor and the platform are not the same.  

Beyond train stations, there are many gaps to heed in our daily lives.  In mine, the gaps abound when my "monkey mind" takes over.  

I recall the excellent quote from Elizabeth Gilbert's book, "Eat, Pray, Love" which made me aware of this phenomenon.  It goes something like this ...
"I am burdened with what the Buddhists call the monkey mind.   The thoughts that swing from limb to limb, stopping only to scratch themselves, spit and howl.   My mind swings wildly through time, touching on dozens of ideas a minute, unharnessed and undisciplined."  

Truly, I am what I think.   We all are.  Therefore, we must also mind these gaps ... these monkeys ... and know enough to step away from (or over) them on our journey, before they disrupt our good energy and our path.   

Indeed, here's to safe travels and enjoy the ride!   



No comments:

Post a Comment